Welcome to my dream ...


This is a Blog geared (no pun intended) to people who have a dream ... and this is my dream.

This will discribe my ride from stockcars to my dream of driving open wheel cars.

Sit back, hang on and follow me as I go after my dream ... driving open wheel race cars.



Justin Onderko

Friday, September 7, 2012

2012 NASA National Championships. . .

         The last couple of days have been spent going over our checklists for Nationals.  The car has been put back together, and given the green light for competition.  All of the pit boxes have been gone through, restocked, and set aside.  I try to stress to everyone- "Its just another race", but I think we all know, its not just another race.  The hauler was loaded up on Monday, it was washed, and fueled up for the trip Tuesday.  From our shop, Mid-Ohio is roughly 400 miles.  Mostly highway, it should be an uneventful trip.
         Most of Tuesday was spent traveling, we made it into Ashland, Ohio around 8pm and parked the truck at the hotel.  Early Wednesday morning we got up and traveled the 25  miles to the racetrack.  No matter how many times I travel to a racetrack- no matter if I've been there 100 times or going there for the first time- I get that nervous pit in the middle of my stomach.  We made our way to registration and got all of our credentials.
        After registration, we went to the paddock area to find our pit area.  We were fortunate to secure a space really close to the grid area, so we can keep track of what's on the racetrack.  I will tell you- parking at any race is a really pain- but here at Nationals- it is even worse.  We are packed in tighter than a can of sardines.  We got the truck and trailer parked, and the racecar unloaded, and set up our pit area.
       We got set up and took a walk around the entire paddock area to get familiar with where everything is.  We found the tech area and walked back to our pit area to get the racecar and take it over to have it gone over.  After we got our tech sticker, we took the car back to the pit area, and put the car up on the lift.
       We had a Welcome/Drivers meeting at 5pm Wednesday, so we headed over to that area to get a seat for that.  No matter how many races you've been to, or how many driver's meeting you've been to, they are all the same.  "Be safe, don't wreck each other, be on time for your sessions"- was the message that we got.
       We will begin our track time tomorrow, and really look forward to getting our first laps under our belt.  Next week I will give you the rundown of our on track time, and how we made out.  I'm proud of our team and what it took to get here.  I feel we have done all that we can to get ready for this race, and now its time to go out and see what happens.  "Be smart and make good decisions, the big race isn't until Sunday- so keep the wheels on it"- is the mantra right now- so now its time to get at it.  We haven't had the best of luck this year, so hopefully the racing gods look our way and we can avoid any on track scuffles.  I'd like to say "Thank You" to my guys, and I will do my best for them and our sponsors.  Till next week. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment