Welcome to my dream ...


This is a Blog geared (no pun intended) to people who have a dream ... and this is my dream.

This will discribe my ride from stockcars to my dream of driving open wheel cars.

Sit back, hang on and follow me as I go after my dream ... driving open wheel race cars.



Justin Onderko

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Like Old Times. . .

This is a big week in motorsports, the INDYCAR series has the week off, but NASCAR and Grand-Am will be at Indianapolis this weekend.  Scott Dixon will be joining Jamie McMurray and Juan Montoya, in Ganasi’s DP car.  Chip is putting together a ride for these drivers to race in the Grand Prix of Indy.  AJ Almendinger had his “B” sample tested, and it came back positive, so his suspension has gone from temporary to indefinite.
As for me this week has been busy trying to get our car back together for Summit Point in August.  Since this car is brand new to us, it has taken a little bit of time to decipher the parts, and where to get new parts from.  It was a lot easier with the late models, I knew those cars inside and out- and one phone call would pretty much take care of any problem.  We will get it all figured out in plenty of time.
It has kind of been like old times for me these last couple of days.  I remember in the early part of my career, when I was learning the cars.  That uneasy feeling you would get when you are looking at critical parts for the first time.  Then trying to figure how they work, and what it was supposed to look like- BEFORE- you blew it up.  Then trying to find someone who sells that part you need.  Finally- trying to talk to someone who sells those parts and get raked over the coals on the price of those parts.  Yep, pretty much like old times.
            There is one good thing about all of this.  After we fix our clutch issue, we will understand our racecar that much more.  Its one of those things that is hard to explain.  You kind of form a relationship with a racecar.  It’s like when you meet a girl and ask her out on a date.  You go on the date, and if the date goes well- you go on a couple more.  You start spending a lot of time with her, because you are having fun, you feel good when you’re together.  After a while though, its not all fun and games- and maybe you have a fight- that’s what my racecar and I did at Pocono- we had a fight.
            I’m trying to make up with my racecar right now- but instead of buying jewelry- we’re buying parts.  Nice, new, and shiny parts- and if I buy the right parts- we won’t fight anymore.  For good measure- I’ll give it an extra coat of wax after I put it all back together.
            I’m kind of poking fun at the situation, but Pocono really wasn’t that bad all things considered.  I’ve been very fortunate over the last couple of years, and I haven’t had many bad days at the track due to mechanical failures.  Spoiled I guess, but you can’t beat the crap out of a piece of machinery and expect it to stay together forever.
            I’ve got some plans for Summit Point; it will be our last race before we head to Mid-Ohio for Nationals.  In case you have some time next weekend, The INDYCAR series will be there, so you can tune in and see what the track looks like.  We missed the track record at Summit Point in June, by .062 seconds.  I think we can squeeze a little more speed out of the car, and I have a little more time in the seat- and that always helps. 
            I look forward to getting the car back in shape, and changing a few things.  It’s kind of a light week to talk about, but we will be in the shop getting our work done.  We really want to be able to put our best foot forward at Nationals.  Hopefully all goes well this week and I have good news very soon.  Till Next Week. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment