Welcome to my dream ...


This is a Blog geared (no pun intended) to people who have a dream ... and this is my dream.

This will discribe my ride from stockcars to my dream of driving open wheel cars.

Sit back, hang on and follow me as I go after my dream ... driving open wheel race cars.



Justin Onderko

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Turning Point. . .

            Here in the United States we are 3 weeks away from daylight savings time, and only 4 short weeks away from the start of the Spring season.  Gone will be the days of snow and ice, although here in the northeast we have had a pretty mild winter.  Soon, the garage doors of the shops’ of racers will be open and the warmer air will be blowing in onto the new racecars.  The 2012 racing season is just about here, and if you are like me, its about time.
            Last week we had hard contact with the turn 4 wall, and pretty much used up the right front of the racecar.  We did catch a break, though, with the rest of the racing that night being rained out, so we had an opportunity to take the car home and repair it for the next week.  It was actually worse that it looked at the track, and with the aid of my credit card and freakishly high overnight shipping charges we had the parts to fix it by Wednesday of that week.  What I didn’t realize was the mounting points had been bent when I hit the wall, so it wasn’t until raceday that we had everything fixed.
            I hadn’t gotten much sleep that week, and some Ritz crackers and peanut butter was all that the budget allowed for eating that week.  I was exhausted that next Saturday, and would have much rather stayed home that week.  I’m not sure if it was stupidity or dedication that sent me to the track, and I have no idea what kept me awake on the drive to the track that day- I was just glad I made it.  I don’t really remember much of that next weekend, except it was the hottest day of the year, I had to run 2 features that night, and everyone was miserable.  That was one of the roughest nights we had been through, we were all short on patience with each other and my girlfriend knew I was spending money I didn’t have and my buddy’s girl was losing her understanding and patience with racing in general.  Ahhh. . . The good old days.
            Without looking back at the stats from that year, I don’t know how we ran- it must not have been a standout performance; but we made it through.  I think its nights like that which create bonds that last lifetimes.  My buddy (Adam is his name- just in case you were wondering) and I are still close to this day, and his girlfriend (now Wife) understands what racing means, and knows how big a part it plays in my life.
            I once read a quote, “Racing is 80% hard times, 10% tragedy, and another 10% wonderful”.  I don’t know who said it, or if that is the correct quotation, but I know enough about the sport first hand to tell you- its true.  September 20th  2003 was one of those nights.
            After July, I had been mostly going through the motions, I had no money left, no real desire to even go racing, and my crew was feeling pretty much the same way.  Thankfully we were able to stay out of trouble over the next 5 weeks, and kept the car pretty much in one piece.  Although it was still hot, September brought a break in the weather and it was more bearable to be at the track.  We loaded up that Saturday much the same way as the previous 15+ other racedays.  This day didn’t seem any different, and I had no real reason to believe otherwise.  At this point I was just trying to save my “Rookie of the Year” status and stay in the top five in points, and not destroy the car. 
            Practice, the Driver’s Meeting, our heat races- it all went pretty much according to plan.  There was no drama, no wrecks; it was as if everyone was just trying to limp to the end of the season.  During intermission the starting grids of the features are posted, and I remember that day the girls went up to get the line-up.  5 minutes later they came running back screaming their heads off.  Now- picture this- in a pit area full of greasy, sweaty, smelly guys, these 2 teenage girls come running screaming at the top of their lungs.  “We got the pole. . . We got the Pole. . . We got the Pole”  It didn’t register at first, but eventually we were all yelling and carrying on.  That was a 10% wonderful moment.
            19 cars were starting that night, and I was going to lead them to the green flag.  18 cars would all be chasing me to turn 1.  Wait. . . 18 cars would all be chasing. . . Me!?!  I look back at that moment of my life and I have to laugh out loud.  In reality I was 19 years old competing in this substandard division, in what was a less than stellar speedway in nowhere Pennsylvania.  In my head, I was sitting on the pole for the Daytona 500- and I was on top of the world. 
            I got ready for the feature and my stomach was in knots, I felt like I was going to throw up, I must have checked my lug nuts 5-6 times, cleaned my windshield 3-4 times before I belted in.  FINALLY the call came for us to line up, and for the first time in my career, I was on point.  My crew was pumped up, and I mean, pumped up.  They were riding this high just like me, and they all wished me good luck and out onto the track I went.
            I remember being so nervous on our pace laps, that I didn’t do any of the pre-race warm-up things that a driver has to do, like warm up the tires and clean out the carburetor.  I didn’t do any of it, and while I was ready for the green flag to been shown to me, the car was not ready to go racing.  I was given the 1-to-go sign by the flagger and coming off turn 4 the green flag was out.
            When I saw the green flag, my foot hit the floor and the car started coming up to speed, and then it happened.  The rear tires broke loose and the rpm’s went through the roof, and around I went.  I didn’t even get to the freaking start/finish line to take the green flag and I was spinning through the entire pack of cars.  I can’t really say what was coming out of my mouth at that moment- but I’m sure you can imagine.  To everyone’s credit- no one hit me, not even a little bit- everybody got by clean.  I sat there in disbelief at what I had just done- that was not a 10% wonderful moment.
            Next week I will let you know what happened during the race and how, for me at least, it was the turning point in my career.  A BIG thank you to everyone, I hit 1000 reads last week, and that’s because you guys come here and read about me and my career.  It means a tremendous amount to me, and I appreciate all of the positive feedback- keep it coming- justinonderko@verizon.net is a great place to reach me.  Check out my sponsors on this page- they really do make it possible for me to be here living my dreams.  Check me out on twitter- @justinonderko and check out my site http://www.justinonderko.com/ for updates- hopefully we have some news about the 2012 season soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment