Welcome to my dream ...


This is a Blog geared (no pun intended) to people who have a dream ... and this is my dream.

This will discribe my ride from stockcars to my dream of driving open wheel cars.

Sit back, hang on and follow me as I go after my dream ... driving open wheel race cars.



Justin Onderko

Sunday, December 11, 2011

A little bit about the beginning

To let you fully understand where I want this dream to take me and my family, you must first have an understanding of where I've been.  I certainly do not want to paint a picture that I had a terrible childhood, or a rough upbringing.  In fact, I was very fortunate to have great parents, ones that cared about the person I would become someday.  They tried their best to teach me what I needed to know, and how to succeed in life.
       On the flip side, We didn't have tremendous amounts of money, or connections with people who did, there were no silver spoons, no trust funds, or opportunities just being dropped on our door.  In my opinion, we were pretty normal.  If I wanted something, I was taught that you had to work for it, and that if you really wanted something, it was going to take lots of work- but it wasn't going to kill you.
        When I approached my parents about buying a go-kart, I'm sure they had no idea of what was going to come of that, but what they did see, was an opportunity to teach me something.  They told me to research what I wanted, talk to people in the industry, and learn about it.  So a few months later I presented with what I found out, they seemed pleased- and I told them I needed 3000 dollars to buy a karting operation.  They told me that they would loan me the money, but it was just like any other loan.  They had terms and conditions, and a rate of 9% with a payment book they made for me.  So at age 11, I signed my life away and borrowed the money.
      About a month later, life taught me a huge lesson- that hard work, knowledge, and perseverance do NOT guarantee success.  I destroyed the kart in my very first race and spent the remainder of the borrowed money to fix it.  I continued to race and had moderate success, but more than that I was learning all of the life lessons that I would rely on later in life.

1 comment: